The 16-acre Margravine Cemetery (also known as ‘Hammersmith Old’) was laid out by local architect George Saunders and opened in 1869. It lies behind the new Charing Cross Hospital. This lecture by Robert Stephenson will tell the story of the up-hill struggle to establish a humble cemetery that ultimately held 83,000 Hammersmith residents. There are several notable memorials including those relocated from the J Lyons & Co factory at Greenford in 2002. The cemetery has served as a park since it was designated a Garden of Rest in 1951, although recently burials have again been accepted.
Robert Stephenson is Chair of the National Federation of Cemetery Friends and is a Trustee of FOWNC.
When: Saturday 18 February 2023 from 2.30pm
Where: The Old Library, 14-16 Knights Hill, West Norwood, London, SE27 0HY